Accident Benefits Coverage: What Will My Insurance Company Pay For?
Although most Ontario motorists have heard of “no-fault insurance”, very few understand what benefits are available to them following a car accident.
Basically, anyone injured in a car accident in Ontario (even pedestrians and cyclists) will be entitled to certain potentially significant benefits from their own insurance company, regardless of who is at fault for the accident. Depending on the severity of injury, these benefits can include:
• Income replacement;
• Medical and rehabilitation treatments and therapies not covered by OHIP, such as physiotherapy, chiropractic therapy, massage and other types of treatment;
• Prescription medications;
• Assistive devices, including wheelchairs, walkers, canes, grab bars, etc.;
• Housekeeping and home maintenance help, including snow removal and lawn/garden care;
• Home and vehicle modifications;
• Services of a support worker or attendant, including payment to family members for care provided;
• Expenses incurred by family members to visit an injured person, including air travel;
• Child care expenses;
• Funeral expenses; and
• Lump sum payments for the death of a family member.
These benefits are available even if the accident was your own fault, and even if others involved in the accident are also injured. However, there are time limits, dozens of complicated forms to complete and numerous restrictions and limitations on coverage.
At Oatley Vigmond, we specialize in ensuring that injured persons receive the benefits they need and are entitled to receive from their insurance company. We have a team of Accident Benefits Specialists on staff to make sure the needs of accident victims are met and their rights are protected. If you or someone you know has been the victim of a car accident, we may be able to help.
If you would like to know more about the benefits noted above, please visit AccidentBenefitsOntario.com.
‘The Law and You’ Spotlight Articles November 30, 2022
Oatley Vigmond Named ‘Law Firm of the Year’ for Personal Injury Litigation by Best Lawyers in Canada ™ September 26, 2022
Introducing Oatley Vigmond’s Next Generation of Personal Injury Lawyers July 26, 2022
Canadian Lawyer Magazine Reveals 2022 Top Personal Injury Boutiques June 1, 2022
Ontario Bar Association Announces Jim Vigmond as Recipient of 2022 OBA Award of Excellence in Insurance Law March 4, 2022