Request A Consultation Call Toll Free 1-866-269-2481

Consistently ranked TOP TEN in ONTARIO

by Canadian Lawyer Magazine

Request A Consultation

Request A Consultation

Our skilled personal injury legal team and accident benefits specialists are here to help you. Please fill out the consultation form and one of our team members will connect with you for a free consultation.

    Thank you for your message
    Error! Please Try Again.
    HomeNews & ArticlesDoes My Home Insurance Cover Short-Term Renter Risk?
    General Interest

    Does My Home Insurance Cover Short-Term Renter Risk?

    September 17, 2020  |  By:  Troy Lehman

    Companies like Airbnb allow property owners to connect with vacationers and rent their homes and cottages to short-term guests. It has become a very popular alternative to hotels for vacationers and a way for property owners to make some extra money. But what happens when someone is injured at your property when it’s being used by short-term renters?

    The answer is a scary one. As the property owner you could get sued. If you don’t have the right insurance coverage, your home insurance will not cover you. We have home insurance to protect us against claims made by people who suffer injuries at our homes. We pay insurance premiums so that if we are ever sued we don’t have to pay for a lawyer or pay the claim ourselves. But if you don’t have the right coverage, the insurance company won’t pay for anything.

    Your homeowners policy might not cover you for claims made when you are renting out your home to short-term renters. Insurance companies offer this coverage but it is not on all policies.

    If you are going to rent your home out, it is crucial that you talk to your insurance broker or insurance company to ensure that you have the right coverage. If you don’t, it could cost you thousands of dollars or more.

    About the Author

    Troy Lehman

    A graduate of the University of Western Ontario law school, Troy was called to the bar in 2001. Troy received the highest mark on the Bar Admission course by anyone from Western University. Troy...

    Read Bio  Read Articles