Considerations for Caregivers

We have all likely provided some form of caregiving support during various times in our lives. Perhaps we have cared for our young children, grandchildren, sick loved ones, elderly, injured or a disabled loved one or friend. 

The tasks are endless and can include activities such as bathing, dressing, assisting with financial tasks, cooking, providing transportation and shopping. While it can be rewarding, caregiving can also become overwhelming and exhausting. For these reasons a caregiver must be aware of potential caregiver burnout. 

In order to avoid burnout, options should be considered to assist in managing the stressors associated with caregiving. If left unchecked, the stressors can lead to challenges in time management, communication, exhaustion, various pressures/conflicts, self-care and can also lead to sadness and depression. 

While caregivers can lean on community services to assist with some of the tasks such as housekeeping, transportation and when required nursing care, these programs are often limited in what they can offer and often have long wait lists.

If a person has been providing care to a loved one who was injured in an automobile accident, there are a few ways to access benefits under the Statutory Accident Benefit Schedule 2010 (SABS).  

If someone is injured in a motor vehicle accident, Caregiving Benefits are available under the SABS, if the person is deemed to have suffered a Catastrophic Impairment or has purchased optional benefits. Coverage consists of incurred costs up to $250.00 per week for the first person in need of care and $50.00 per week for each additional person in need of care. This benefit is not available if the insured person is eligible to receive an income replacement benefit or a non-earner benefit and the benefit is not available longer than 104 weeks unless the insured person is suffering a complete inability to carry on a normal life. 

Another route to access benefits is through Attendant Care Benefits. Attendant Care benefits are for individuals who require assistance with things such as dressing, bathing, grocery shopping, cooking and basic supervision if required following a collision. If the injured person prefers to have a friend or family member provide Attendant Care, the person providing the care may be compensated in two different ways:

  • Compensation up to their proven economic loss from employment which will not exceed the approved amount of the assessed Attendant Care Needs; or
  • The person provided the care in the course of employment, occupation or profession in which he or she would ordinarily have engaged. In this example they would be paid the approved amount of the assessed Attendant Care Needs. 

If you, a loved one or friend should require advice regarding options for caregiving, please feel free to contact us at Oatley Vigmond for more information or assistance. 

About the Authors

Josie has been working in the legal industry since 1987. She joined Oatley Vigmond in 1995 as a senior law clerk, having developed expertise in demonstrative evidence applications, particularly in the areas of mediation and trial preparation. Her desire to provide hands-on support to clients and their families led her to become an accident benefits specialist. Now, she provides Oatley Vigmond clients with prompt and effective assistance to access the insurance benefits to which clients are entitled. She helps assemble a reliable community rehabilitation and long-term care team for our clients. She’s a licensed paralegal with the Law Society of Ontario, and holds a certificate in rehabilitation management from Seneca College.

To learn more about Josie, please click here.